Wednesday, August 27, 2014

deathtokoalas
i don't think this is staged; i do think what you're seeing here is occurring all over the world.

this kid was cut off, probably because he was failing school.

"school is for losers. video games are cool."

there's millions of kids trapped in this industry, which turns them into consumerist slaves getting shots of dopamine from the technology.

we need to start holding them back in school.

if we do that then, in a few years, parents will get the hint.


Gizmo Gaming
Then again, it more or less depends on the person and the parents. The parents shouldn't be letting them play for 5 hours straight. >.<

deathtokoalas
when you're dealing with this kind of dopamine-driven addiction, it's not as easy as asking your kid to stop playing. and, that's what the problem is. i might find the idea of killing things distasteful, but i don't think it's really problematic in any kind of social way. it's the addiction that ruins them...

prague
I'm 27 and pretty much a video game addict.  The way you describe it as a "dopamine addiction" is pretty much spot on.  Although, as an adult I completely accept myself as an addict.  I was once an opiate addict and to get off of the pills I began playing video games.  I basically stopped one thing and picked up another.  I'd say that I'd rather be addicted to video games than hard drugs, but it still does take a lot out of my life and my bank account.  I barely want to do anything else.  I have lost friends because of my addiction.  It's funny too because I didn't become this until I was about 22-23.  The only thing I can say is that I'm glad I'm not a child going through this.  A child would not admit or even know what it means to be an addict.  When they hear that word, they think "drugs", not "technology".  Everyone, I believe, has an addiction though.  We all find something in our lives that we can't seem to go too long without.  Most people I know are either addicted to drinking, shopping, eating, sex, etc.  The ONLY thing I can say about video game addiction is that if one plays the right games it CAN be a good thing in many ways as long as that person does not become dependent on the games to feel complete as a person.  Let's take "Computer Chess" for example.  Chess can be a very strong stimulant for brain development.  It can teach problem solving skills, critical thinking, etc.  But the problem lies in the moment that person playing the game cannot go without it.  The kids in the video are playing Call of Duty.  I'm not going to say "Oh, Call of Duty is a POS game".  Looking closely, it CAN help develop the exact same things as Chess, but it's the socialization and culture behind it that is completely 180 degrees from something like Chess.  I strongly believe that all games in general, not just video games, can prevent certain diseases in some people's future.  Take Alzheimer disease.  I believe that playing games regularly can stimulate a part of the brain that keeps the gamer healthy in the mind which in turn MAY help prevent such a disease.  I'm not a scientist, nor a doctor, so this is all speculation, but the point of this is that there is a large portion of people out there that when they hear the words "video games" they think "nerd" or "loser" or something of that variety.  It may be the case for some, but there are video game players out there that AREN'T addicted and can maintain a healthy relationship with others AND themselves.  Me personally, I'm what I call a "mild-video game addict".  My house is clean.  I maintain a full time job.  I have a dog.  But I haven't had a relationship since I started playing games religiously.  I wake up in the morning and that's the first thing I want to do.  I make up stories and lie to get out of social situations like get-togethers and even just going to see my parents.  Stuff like that.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that video games get a bad rep because people think that it's the root of all evil and can transform people into doing things they wouldn't normally do, like for example killing people in real life because they played some game.  I have to say that that's not even close to the truth and has probably only happened a few times, but those people were already on that path and just happened to be playing certain games.  I play everything.  War games.  Puzzle games.  Adventure games.  To me it's like watching a movie, but you get to be the actor or at least control the actor.  In regards to your last comment, I think it IS more problematic in the social arena than anything else.  Look at the kid in the video.  He just lost two friends most likely because of his addiction.  He probably talks to his parents like he does to someone who isn't "playing the game right".  He ONLY wants to play games and not socialize, therefore it IS a social problem FOR HIM.  It's not for everyone, nor is it socially threatening for all game addicts.  In fact, it's HELPED my social confidence, but in turn it's KILLED my social desires.  I just don't ever want to go out on weekends, go to bars, etc.  In regards to your first comment, about the "consumerist slaves"...  I think that that's a bit lofty.  EVERYONE is a consumerist slave if you look at the big picture.  If you're not growing your own food on a farm; creating your own electricity from natural sources;  making your own clothes;  etc. etc. you are a consumerist slave to the system.  It's what our government wants.  They want us hopelessly dependent on their support.  It's NOT just video games.  It's EVERYTHING.  I agree with you on everything though, but it all has to be seen in perspective.  Have a nice day :D

deathtokoalas
what i meant is that i don't think the violence in the games is promoting violence in society, i think it's the other way around. i don't really get what attracts people to killing things, but i don't think it's causing school shootings. i do think it's preventing kids from living up to their potential.

the dopamine thing has been studied. cocaine temporarily boosts your dopamine level through chemistry, causing the high - as well as the crash and subsequent addiction. video games are constantly setting off your reward centers, making it more of a "natural high". but you get hooked on the same chemical basis - the more you play, the more dopamine your body releases. the result is something similar to how a monkey or even a rat gets addicted to pushing a button to get rewards. and, they'll sit there for hours. that's a little bit of a stronger level of slavery than we see in the general consumer culture because it's driven by that chemical response rather than pressure or status - although it's certainly a consequence of it.

what that also means, though, is that the games that integrate the most frequent "rewards" trigger the most dopamine and get you the most hooked. some of the simple strategy-type games on your phone are probably worse for this than shooter games, as they give you a shot every few seconds rather than when you kill something. chess? well, how many kids do you see playing chess? when a kid says "chess is boring. i'd rather play something else." what they mean is "chess isn't designed for constant rewards, and isn't getting me my fix.".

i played a lot of chess with my dad when i was young, but could never get into it over a computer (i tried) because there wasn't that human element to it. it's a battle of wits, not a dopamine release. well, i guess the dopamine release would get through after a good move, but it's too infrequent for the reinforcement - and not the aim of the struggle. it's a different thing altogether. i have no argument against kids playing chess...

i used to play civ2 when i was a kid, which is probably still the best example of a middle point between strategy-based and reward-based. but i couldn't get my friends into it. they'd be bored within twenty minutes. i suspect it just wasn't getting them that rush, because they'd built up a much stronger tolerance that i didn't have, from not playing more violent games.

you talked about moving from opiates to video games. i think that any kind of addiction is ultimately beaten by moving to a different habit. i was never a heavy gamer, but i haven't really played much of anything at all since the end of 1997, when i got a synthesizer and a 4-track recorder around christmas (i was 16). that's where all my excess energy went after that - into something creative.

at that age, the big problem is that it's arresting their development and preventing them from developing the skills necessary to succeed. i have friends in their early thirties that haven't migrated more than a foot from where they existed when they were eight years old - in their parent's basement, pushing those buttons for that hit. they have the same job they had when they were sixteen and the same life goals they had when they were seven - find money to buy games. it would be really remarkable to see a time lapse of them sitting on that floor, playing different controllers over the last few decades but ultimately occupying the exact same physical space.

Bradley 
No.. This is patrick

MyFutureDream
Imstopped being like that, i used to always play games ignore school, be popular, but now it's different, straight A's! In 7th grade. Thanks to my brother took my xbox one away. (Good thing) I started realizing I played too much.

HopeDoesGaming Second Channel
I agree, the addiction to games are hard to get rid of, but they aren't easy getting into either. People say they played the game for 6 hours when they honestly hated it, we should NOT stop video games and tech for good! People NEED breaks every once in a while, but do you think playing it 24/7 (Without taking 1 little movement) is healthy for your brain, eventually a kid is going to smash his ps3d tv because it look so real. Who would think that the ring of fire on the xbox360, when your dad says the ring of fire, you STICK A HOSE IN THE CONSOLE, that's crazy talk! All of those who don't want to get off the game the games when yo mom tells you to, I FEEL YOU! The game messes with your brain, especially violent ones, the violent games have inappropriate crap that makes your brain think it's the right thing to do in life, ITS FAKE! So take 5 minutes right now after reading this and put down the mouse, or controller, step outside, and breath! I am a huge gamer myself, but do NOT stay on it 24/7 or you will pick up bad habits, play sports, study for a school test, run around! Idc what you do as long as you make the right choice which is taking a break from technology! Please like if you agree with me! Also, make sure to check out me youtube. There is not many videos lately because I'm punished but thanks for your time :)

YourCasualNintendoPlayer
I definitely agree.

ZombiecoHQ
I'm 13, most likely addicted to PC haha. Play all day :P I'm not like the idiot in the video though. I do homework, go to school, get good grades etc. I can also control anger unlike the fatass in the video. Idk is this even considered an addiction?

deathtokoalas
when i was 13, i got perfect grades without studying. the little bit of "homework" that was assigned was mostly finished at school during busy work periods. in fact, i often had time to do my friends' homework, too (which i regret, it didn't help them in the long run). they don't really expect a lot out of young kids in north america (as compared to some other places in the world); you're given a lot of time to "be a kid", and if you happen to be a relatively smart and lucky one it could result in what seems like total freedom. i'm going to guess the kid in the video is more like 15 or 16, and there is a pretty big difference in terms of what the school system expects of you jumping from grade 6 or 7 to grade 10 or 11. i'm sure you've been informed of that by teachers and older friends or siblings.

you're going to have a choice regarding how you spend your time in the next few years.

like anything else that's addictive, it's going to affect people differently. you might stop playing to spend more time doing other things, or you might find it's increasingly eating into your productivity.

but, yes, it's an addiction, in terms of how it chemically affects your brain.

try this experiment: stop playing for a week and tell me how you feel.

ZombiecoHQ
I've stopped for weeks in the past (being grounded, going on vacation, etc.) and I just have to forget about it and focus on something else. When I'm really bored though, I can't stop thinking about the glorious thing that CSGO is :D

Andrew Conti
i may not play video games a lot,  but fuck school, its fucking useless ESPECIALLY  history

deathtokoalas
history class is very important in understanding how things came to be. i know they may test you on silly things like dates, but if you understand the way things work together then the dates fit in naturally.

for example, there's war in syria and iraq right now. if you want to understand that, you need to understand the history. and if you want to understand america's reaction, you have to understand it's history, too.